Saturday, July 28, 2007

the field

sue sat up.
sue: so what if she doesn't love you? it's the things you love and not the other way around that defines you, as you... see???
mudd: i tried that. quiet as it's kept, it's not working out so great.
sue: we'll talk more on the subject later...
mudd: i don't know. i don't know anymore. i thought i did but i don't. not really.
sue: the museum is about to close and you are going to have to leave. we'll talk more about the subject later.
mudd: my fifty minutes is up? i understand...
(mudd fevershily buttoned up his navy blue winter coat and pulling his collar tight around the neck rubbed his balding head)
sue: in a perfect situtation how would you like to see this resolved?
mudd: i'd want to her in my arms and tell her this is going to be the way the way it is and no one can help it a bit.
sue: and... how does that make you feel?
mudd: angry and dejected. i don't know how i'm supposed to feel... but it's not like this. i didn't want this. i didn't ask for this.
sue (the t-rex skeleton): we'll talk more about this later... okay???
mudd flattened his dry spiked hair against his head with a sticky palm heaved a sigh.
mudd: i suppose
sue: good- bye
mudd: bye
and with that the boy named mudd stomped down the stairs and into the cold february evening out onto the cracked steps of the field museum and after lighting a clove cigarette wandered home.

5 comments:

TaylorStreet said...

this one is fucking great. I look forward to hearing more about the adventures of these two characters.

Oliver said...

I could follow this one.

Jay M. said...

That Sue. She's a smart one.

Oliver said...

Yeah, thanks for the send-off blog message you selfish bastard. I guess that's the nature of our relationship, just send me a Chiago Police DEpartment sow on badge as recompense and I'll consider all fair and square.

take care of the delightful Liz, just don't let her fill your life with cushions, feelings and all that other shite. Your a man. Do car chases and police brutality. nice.

Caleb said...

I'm ashamed to say I had fallen behind on your posts. I have to admit I missed out on my favorites ever. I just wish there was a chose your own adventure aspect to this narrative so that I would feel in some way responsible for these characters.